André Leon Talley, the previous artistic director of Vogue, has handed away. The information of his demise was introduced in a press release on his official Instagram account.

The assertion learn: "It's with nice unhappiness we announce the passing of André Leon Talley on January 18, 2022 in New York."

In keeping with Selection and TMZ, the 73-year-old died at a hospital in White Plains, New York. A reason for demise and different particulars about his passing haven't been launched.

The assertion on Instagram stated: "Mr. Talley was the larger-than-life, longtime artistic director at Vogue throughout its rise to dominance because the world's trend bible."

Having "a penchant for locating, nurturing and celebrating younger designers," the worldwide trend icon was a "shut confidant" of the largest names within the trade, together with Yves Saint Laurent, Karl Lagerfeld, Diane von Furstenberg, Manolo Blahnik and others, the assertion famous.

Why André Leon Talley Left Vogue Twice

Over the course of his illustrious profession spanning 5 many years, Talley wrote for and labored at a number of main trend magazines, together with an extended tenure at Vogue, which he ended up leaving twice.

Throughout his time at Vogue within the Nineteen Eighties and Nineties, Talley was instrumental in serving to to form Vogue's picture, working carefully with Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour.

He was the information director at Vogue from 1983 to 1987, earlier than serving as its artistic director in 1988.

In keeping with The Hollywood Reporter, Talley's time at Vogue was not at all times easy and in interviews, he'd spoken about his struggles with weight following the demise of his grandmother in 1989. Wintour reportedly staged an intervention for Talley to shed pounds, sending him to the Duke Food plan & Health Heart on the expense of Condé Nast, the writer of Vogue.

Talley left Vogue in 1995 and moved to Paris, returning to W Journal, the place he labored beforehand for 5 years. He additionally beforehand served because the Paris bureau chief of Ladies's Put on Every day earlier on in his profession.

André Leon Talley in NYC.
The late André Leon Talley pictured right here at New York Metropolis's 21 Membership, the place he spoke at a dialogue on type in Might 2010. Slaven Vlasic/Getty Photos

Three years later in 1998 he returned to Vogue, working as its editor-at-large till 2013, when he left the publication for a second time to grow to be the editor-in-chief of Numero Russia, a Russian type journal.

Again in 2013 when his exit was introduced, USA In the present day reported that Talley stated: "I have been there [Vogue] for 30 years, it was a tricky determination once I went to speak to Anna [Wintour] about this."

Talley, who was going to show 64 on the time, stated: "I felt I wanted extra monetary safety as I am going in my twilight age, slightly bit extra cash for mortgages and as I am going into retirement," in keeping with USA In the present day.

"I took the job as a result of I like Russia and the wage was one thing fabulous. Cash is not all the things however it's once you begin interested by placing cash away in your retirement days...

"Anna was very sympathetic and understood and she or he determined we stay on good phrases and that I do the digital and the net. And I am very completely happy to do it," he reportedly stated on the time.

In keeping with The Hollywood Reporter, Talley allegedly fell out with Wintour in 2018 when he was dropped as a purple carpet interviewer on the Met Gala and changed by YouTuber Liza Koshy.

Andre Leon Talley, Anna Wintour in NYC.
Andre Leon Talley and Anna Wintour on the Donna Karan New York Fall 2011 trend present throughout New York Style Week in February 2011. Eugene Gologursky/WireImage