Republican Senator Mitt Romney referred to as out GOP Representatives Marjorie Taylor Greene and Paul Gosar for attending a far-right rally whereas showing on CNN Sunday morning.

Greene, a Georgia Republican, attended the American First Political Motion Convention on Friday, whereas Gosar, an Arizona Republican, who beforehand attended the occasion, spoke by video hyperlink. The convention was based by Nick Fuentes, who has been described as a "white supremacist" by the Anti-Defamation League (ADL).

Their attendance sparked criticism from some members of the Republican Social gathering, with Romney, a Utah senator who was the GOP presidential nominee in 2012, being the most recent to sentence them.

"There is not any place in both political celebration for this white nationalism or racism. It is merely unsuitable," he stated. "Marjorie Taylor Greene and Paul Gosar—I do not know them. However I am reminded of that Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Child film the place one character says 'Morons. I've morons on my crew.' And I've to assume anyone that may sit down with white nationalists and converse at their convention was definitely lacking a couple of IQ factors."

Romney went on to name out some Republicans who've praised Russian President Vladimir Putin as he invades Ukraine, threatening to upend the lives of hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians.

"It is unthinkable to me," he stated. "It is nearly treasonous. It simply makes me in poor health to to see a few of these folks do this."

He stated he believes those that have sided with Putin are doing so to "get them extra eyeballs" or "possibly make a little bit more cash for them or their community," including that he hopes they're realizing how unsuitable they're.

In an announcement to Newsweek on Sunday, Greene stated, "I'm not going to play the guilt by affiliation recreation wherein you demand each conservative ought to justify something ever stated by anybody they've ever shared a room with. I am not going to be drawn into that. I am solely liable for what I say. So ask me about my speech. I talked about God and Liberty."

She wrote that she wouldn't "flip down the chance to talk to 1,200 younger America First patriots" over "a couple of off-color remarks by one other speaker, even when I discover these remarks unsavory."

Greene additionally sought to distance herself from Fuentes when pressed by CBS Information in regards to the occasion.

Mitt Romney condemns Greene, Gosar
Senator Mitt Romney, above on January 11, condemned Reps. Greene and Gosar for attending the American First Political Motion Convention on Friday.GREG NASH/POOL/AFP by way of Getty Photos

"I do not know Nick Fuentes. I've by no means seen him converse. I've by no means seen a video. I do not know what his views are," she stated.

Fuentes has lengthy confronted criticism for remarks, which have been dubbed "racist and antisemitic" by the ADL. He additionally confronted criticism for remarks he made in the course of the convention when he requested attendees to "give a spherical of applause for Russia."

"Now they are going on about Russia and Vladimir Putin is Hitler—they are saying that is not factor," he stated, earlier than including that he "should not have stated that."

Different Republicans criticized Greene and Gosar for attending. Consultant Liz Cheney, of Wyoming tweeted: "As Rep Marjorie Taylor Greene and Rep Paul Gosar converse at this white supremacist, anti-Semitic, pro-Putin occasion, silence by Republican Social gathering leaders is deafening and enabling."

Newsweek additionally reached out to Gosar's workplace for remark Sunday morning, however didn't hear again by publication. This story will likely be up to date with any response.