An American army veteran who left his residence in Connecticut to volunteer on the frontlines in Ukraine claimed he helped to destroy seven Russian tanks with Ukrainian forces.

"Alright. Thus far, we took out seven Russian tanks, after a protracted fireplace battle we took management of the realm," James Vasquez, a U.S. military veteran and constructing contractor, mentioned in a video shared on his Twitter web page.

"Proper now we'll simply type of sweep round and see what we received left. Some stragglers, take them out, name it a day, it has been a protracted day. It has been a protracted day child," he mentioned.

In response to his Twitter feed, Vasquez left his residence in Connecticut, arrived in Poland on March 15, and entered Ukraine the next day to assist Ukrainian forces battle off Russian troops in Moscow's full-scale invasion, which started on February 24. On March 18, he was despatched to the frontlines from Lviv, The Guardian reported.

"For these of you correcting me on tanks. I do know some are armored automobile. Simply didn't wish to get into semantics however this is some tanks to make you're feeling higher," wrote Vasquez.

In a separate submit, Vasquez mentioned that he's the one American he is seen in his space.

"I do not need the Russian propaganda machine saying there's a battalion of Individuals which I've already seen. Right here alone alone accord in a whole voluntary capability," he clarified.

"I type of really feel like I am on an superior very harmful trip," Vasquez tweeted after leaving the U.S.

In one other tweet, Vasquez mentioned he could not sleep in anticipation of preventing Russian forces.

"Each atrocity, each warfare crime, each harmless civilian being murdered on a day after day foundation will get everybody right here extra motivated to battle," he mentioned.

Vasquez's spouse, Tina, advised DailyMail.com that he served two excursions in Iraq and one in Afghanistan.

"It is in his DNA" to hitch the battle in Ukraine, she advised the information outlet.

"He approached me, got here to me after work and mentioned, 'We have to discuss, I am unable to watch this on TV, I have to go assist these guys,'" she mentioned.

"It has been a wrestle for me, worrying on daily basis," Tina mentioned. "He tries to name me when he can however typically he cannot and my thoughts goes a little bit frightened."

"I am super-proud of my husband, he is my hero and he is met lots of nice folks over in Ukraine," she added.

Greater than 7,000 U.S. residents have utilized to hitch Ukraine's newly established overseas fighters' pressure, the Worldwide Legion of Territorial Protection of Ukraine, in response to Ukraine's embassy in Washington. The embassy advised Newsweek that "not all of them are authorized and never all of them are going to Ukraine."

James Vasquez Ukraine
James Vasquez, a US military veteran and constructing contractor, left his residence in Connecticut to volunteer on the frontlines in Ukraine. @jmvasquez1974/Twitter

Replace 03/25/22, 6:40 a.m. ET: This text was up to date with extra background data.