12-year-old Ont. figure skater donating backpacks for Ukrainian kids in Poland


Twelve-year-old Oscar Oliver normally spends his time practising determine skating, however in early April, he will likely be heading to Poland to assist children his age who fled the conflict in Ukraine by donating backpacks stuffed with necessities.


Oliver’s “Purchase a Backpack” marketing campaign is elevating cash to offer Ukrainian refugees new backpacks stuffed with necessities they may not have been capable of convey with them from house once they fled: college provides, toys and toiletries.


“A variety of them don’t have something, so simply to surrender my sport [right now] to try to give them one thing could be a very nice gesture,” he instructed CTV Information Channel on Sunday.


“I’m a child and I understand how [I] would really feel if I didn’t have any of that.”


The pre-novice determine skating champion is from Barrie, Ont. and is a twin Polish and Canadian citizen. He stated that having a backpack stuffed with your individual belongings is vastly essential for teenagers.


“For me it’s essential as a result of it has all the pieces I want in there,” he stated of his personal backpack. “If I had been to depart and I didn’t have any of that, I might really feel misplaced.”


Since Russia invaded Ukraine on the finish of February, greater than 2.2 million refugees have fled into Poland, in response to the United Nations Excessive Commissioner for Refugees, nearly all of whom are girls and youngsters.


Oliver stated that he is aware of kids in that scenario are scared.


“That’s why I made a decision to launch a ‘Purchase a Backpack’ marketing campaign,” he stated.


“In order that they’re not solely simply scared, they'll even have one thing that's helpful of their lives, so I can a minimum of assist them a little bit bit.”


He and his mom will likely be travelling to Poland within the week after Easter to ship the backpacks to refugee contact centres.


Individuals involved in serving to can donate to their fundraising marketing campaign on-line. At present, they’ve raised the cash for 214 backpacks.


“Our objective is about 300, proper now,” Oliver stated.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post