Good luck trying to find the right iPhone and Apple Watch charging dock. During the last yr alone I've tried dozens of them, and every is best than the final. The newest addition to contemplate is the Nomad Base One Max. It is a heavy dock—2 kilos!— that may cost an Apple Watch and an iPhone 12 or iPhone 13 on the full 15-watt MagSafe pace.

Newsweek recommends badge

Launching with a retail worth of practically $150, the Base One Max is decidedly a premium charging dock. It feels substantial. It additionally seems like a high-end product. And, in my hands-on time with it, it really works flawlessly.

You could be all-in on discovering the right resting space on your cellphone and watch all through the evening, however the Nomad Base One Max is a sublime resolution. Even higher, it options the wi-fi cellphone charger on the appropriate, for these of us who sleep on the left facet of the mattress.

TL;DR

Execs:

  • Full 15-watt MagSafe charging pace for appropriate iPhones
  • Premium 2-pound weight retains the dock from lifting up

Cons:

  • Want to make use of a 30-watt or larger wall charger
  • Solely fees two gadgets without delay

Purchase at Nomad.

Nightstand Telephone Charger

Nomad Base One Max
The MagSafe charging space is barely raised to accommodate instances or an iPhone's digital camera bump.TYLER HAYES

Nomad has created a beautiful nightstand charging dock with the Base One Max. Certain, it may be used at a desk or some other place round the home, however this product appears like an iPhone (and Apple Watch) proprietor's charging wants are distilled completely to the simply the necessities for bedside.

Essentially the most notable characteristic is that this charger helps the complete 15-watt wi-fi charging pace that MagSafe gives. If you happen to look fastidiously in any respect the same merchandise available on the market, you may discover that just a few have this formally supported MagSafe characteristic. The pace issues much less for charging all through the evening, but it surely's actually helpful to get a lift of energy throughout the day.

Sadly, the Base One Max doesn't assist the Apple Watch Sequence 7's faster-charging pace. It could have been good to have from a $150 charger, however I additionally do not feel like I am lacking out with out it.

One refined factor in regards to the design of this system I do recognize is that the iPhone charger is on the appropriate and the watch charger is on the left. I sleep on the left facet of the mattress, so this format means the cellphone is nearer to me—and extra handy. In fact, you would possibly really feel the alternative if you happen to sleep on the appropriate facet of your mattress. Belkin appears to all the time place the cellphone on the left facet of its charging docks, so I do recognize this design selection from Nomad.

Nomad Base One Max
I recognize that the iPhone charger is on the appropriate and the watch charger is on the left. TYLER HAYES

What about laying gadgets flat versus propped as much as cost them? There is not any technical distinction, and in order that aesthetic resolution is all about your use or private desire. I've most popular one or the opposite at totally different occasions. Proper now, I like how Nomad does it: with the cellphone mendacity flat and the Apple Watch propped up. Or perhaps I merely recognize that I can elevate my cellphone off the magnetic charger with out the Base One Max lifting up, as nicely.

It is price noting that you'll require a 30-watt or larger capability wall charger with the Base One Max. It comes with a 6-foot removable USB-C cable, however you may want to offer your personal wall wart. I want Nomad's small 30 watt GaN charger got here within the field.

A Three-Gadget Dock?

Nomad Base One Max
Despite the fact that there are solely two charging spots, there may be room to set an AirPods case behind an Apple Watch.TYLER HAYES

A variety of bedside charging docks do not cease at accommodating an iPhone and Apple Watch; they embrace a 3rd spot for wirelessly charging AirPods. It is smart to account for all of the pocketable digital gadgets that you could be need to cost on the finish of the day. In observe, I do not cost the AirPods I take advantage of day by day on my nightstand. I additionally need not.

On the earlier nightstand dock I used to be utilizing, I did use that third charging spot now and again. Since I also can pop AirPods onto the iPhone spot to cost on the Base One Max, I discover I do not miss that third spot. You could must cost three gadgets without delay, each evening. In that case, this most likely is not the charger for you. However you need to most likely additionally think about whether or not you actually need the third spot or similar to the thought of getting it out there.

Despite the fact that the Base One Max cannot cost three gadgets without delay, there may be sufficient room to set an AirPods case behind the Apple Watch charger. I am undecided if that is on function or not, but it surely helps hold a nightstand organized.

Ought to You Purchase the Nomad Base One Max?

Nomad Base One Max
The white and silver colour mixture is on the market at launch, with a black model coming later.TYLER HAYES

The Nomad Base One Max, priced at $149.95, just isn't low-cost, but it surely's largely according to the price of different name-brand multidevice nightstand chargers. In different phrases, this product just isn't the perfect total worth, but it surely does supply the premium look you would possibly search for a bed room location. There's a satisfying feeling to laying down and choosing up an iPhone from the charger that different merchandise haven't got.

I recognize the minimal design the Base One Max gives. If you happen to sleep on the left facet of the mattress, you may additionally recognize that the cellphone charger is on the appropriate facet of the dock. The total 15-watt charging pace of MagSafe can also be a compelling characteristic. This would possibly not be the final charging dock I actually like, however in the mean time, the Base One Max is my favourite approach to cost my iPhone and Apple Watch collectively.

Purchase at Nomad for $149.95.

Newsweek might earn a fee from hyperlinks on this web page, however we solely suggest merchandise we again. We take part in varied affiliate marketing online packages, which implies we might receives a commission commissions on editorially chosen merchandise bought by our hyperlinks to retailer websites.