I have been excited by getting an electrical automobile (EV) for a few 12 months now for numerous causes, primarily efficiency and environmental. I did quite a lot of analysis, studying articles, watching tons of YouTube opinions and take a look at driving them.

The selection got here right down to a 2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E or a 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5.

In my 20-minute take a look at drive of the Mach-E, I had two completely different individuals revving their engines at me, noticing that I used to be driving a Mustang and making an attempt to race me on the road. It is an attention-grabbing automotive, however I am not that form of driver. So I went with the Ioniq 5 SEL as a substitute.

Each place I referred to as in Northern California had a vendor markup. I ended up selecting a dealership in Modesto, which is about two hours from the place I stay in Davis, as a result of the markup was solely $2,000.

2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5
The Hyundai Ioniq 5 is new for the 2022 mannequin 12 months.Eileen Falkenberg-Hull

I got here from a Honda CR-V, so I've by no means pushed electrical earlier than. It's extremely clean. There is no pretend shifting, it is only a steady acceleration and you've got that torque at any time.

Driving on the freeway, if I have to go anyone it is not like my automotive has to work further onerous to rise up there. I simply press the pedal and it goes. In Eco mode, there is a slight delay in comparison with Sport mode, however it's a extremely enjoyable driving expertise.

It is a very modern-looking and minimalistic automotive. It's extremely comfy as effectively. The consolation degree is simply nearly as good if not higher than my CR-V.

The one-pedal driving (the automobile decelerates and recharges when taking a foot off the fuel pedal) works very well. It takes some time to get used to understanding the distances that it's essential let off the accelerator, however when you do it really works and I've received no complaints.

2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5
The Hyundai Ioniq 5 incorporates a distinctive, pixel gentle design.Eileen Falkenberg-Hull

As a result of I stay in an condominium I haven't got entry to charging at house. I've two years of some free charging at Electrify America however I have not actually used that but. However there are quite a lot of Degree 2 chargers the place I work, and I've a fairly quick commute, so I have been charging about as soon as per week to 80 %.

The actual world vary isn't fairly nearly as good because the EPA-rated vary (220 miles) and I knew that going into it. These rankings are for when the climate is nice and you are not driving into the wind. A whole lot of variables can go into vary.

At any time when I cost as much as 80 %, I will get round 175 to 200 miles relying on the climate.

I plan on holding it for at the least six years, which is round when me and my fiance plan to purchase a home. So I will not want a brand new automobile for a very long time.

If you wish to purchase one, do your analysis and name a bunch of dealerships. I most likely referred to as 15 and so they all had a markup. So in the event you're actually set on an Ioniq 5, simply be affected person.

Adrian Wheeler is a authorities employee in California. All views expressed within the article are the writer's personal, as advised to Newsweek's James McCandless.

Have a model new automotive and wish to discuss your first month of possession? Attain out at j.mccandless@newsweek.com.