My spouse and I've been desirous to get an electrical car (EV) for six or seven years now. We have been trying into getting a Tesla however then we came upon that we have been pregnant with our first little one in order that put a delay on that up till not too long ago.

We even have a pre-order on a 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning, however within the final month or two it is grow to be obvious that it's not going to be prepared for us for a yr or extra.

At that time, we had two new youngsters, so we began taking a look at totally different choices. We noticed that the EV6 was popping out, take a look at drove one, fell in love with it and determined to snag one the second we may.

A number of the EV6s we noticed had a $10,000 markup. We noticed all of those ridiculous markups and we sort of gave up. However then, I occurred to search out one with solely a $2,000 markup, which given the state of issues shouldn't be horrible. So we traded in a 2020 Kia Forte and took residence a 2022 Kia EV6 First Version.

2022 Kia EV6
Stokes paid a $2,000 markup for the 2022 Kia EV6.Dusty Stokes

The sensation of driving an electrical car is one thing I am not used to. Being totally electrical, you by no means hear the motor kick on. It is all the time quiet. It is sort of thrilling to drive. Additionally, simply being away from gasoline, particularly proper now, feels actually good.

It has a very good turning radius. It is actually zippy on the freeway, particularly. When you must cross a gradual automotive on, it will get going actual fast. However it will get rather less vary there than stop-and-go site visitors due to regenerative braking.

It costs as marketed, about 20 minutes utilizing quick chargers. I can plug in, run into the shop and seize some issues and have it sitting there prepared for me with out me having to simply sit within the automotive and look ahead to it to cost. We've got a house charger now so we cost in a single day too.

I used to be actually leery of the toggle between the media and local weather controls, but it surely's actually grown on me. Early on I used to be continuously blaring the warmth or cranking down the air-con as a result of I'd anticipate it to be the radio. I need to flip the music up or down and as a substitute I simply blast the air-con at 50 levels, however I've grow to be used to it now.

2022 Kia EV6
Just one,500 First Version items have been made for the U.S. market.Dusty Stokes

If I may make a change I'd have the heated seat and ventilated seat buttons be someplace else. They're in a spot within the middle the place my fingers relaxation naturally, so if I am reaching throughout to toggle the radio or air-con I can brush that and switch these on after I don't desire them on. However that simply took every week to get used to as effectively.

One factor I like about this automotive is the blind spot cameras once you flip the flip indicators. It is so helpful I do not know if I can ever return from that. When it is raining it is fairly ineffective however each different time it has been tremendous helpful.

We dwell in Seattle, and we have already completed a highway journey to see household in Spokane and plan on doing extra of that. However what's attention-grabbing is the distinction in charging infrastructure between right here and there. There's not many quick charging stations in Spokane, which was eye opening. I suppose it is as a result of there's not as many EVs there. However we plan to do extra highway journeys. We need to go someplace farther and see how that goes.

How lengthy we maintain the EV6 actually comes right down to how lengthy it's going to be earlier than our Lightning is offered to us. We would like a truck and we most likely cannot afford that and this automotive, so in a yr or two we'll have a tricky choice to make.

That is not a knock on this automotive, extra that it will be good to have a truck accessible to us for some residence transforming tasks we've got deliberate.

However I like this factor. It is acquired so many bells and whistles. I feel if yow will discover one at or close to MSRP you are going to be a contented driver.

Dusty Stokes is a software program developer in Washington state. All views expressed within the article are the writer's personal, as informed to Newsweek's James McCandless.

Have a model new automotive and need to speak about your first month of possession? Attain out at j.mccandless@newsweek.com.