An unvaccinated Georgia man has mentioned he regrets not getting his COVID-19 photographs after nearly dying because of the illness.

Fifty-six-year-old Jeff Adams, from town of Covington, advised FOX 5 Atlanta that he contracted COVID-19 on the live performance of a buddy's band on the American Legion in Conyers in August, 2021.

At this level Adams was not vaccinated. He mentioned he had determined in opposition to getting the photographs as a result of a blood take a look at in July that 12 months revealed that he had COVID-19 antibodies, indicating a previous an infection.

As such, he believed that he didn't have to get vaccinated.

However he has now spoken about his expertise with the illness and mentioned that he regrets his determination.

"I can inform you conclusively that's the worst determination of my life," he advised FOX 5. "I am an individual who has by no means been sick a lot in any respect in my life, and I believed I did not have to fret about it. However, boy, was I mistaken. I used to be terribly mistaken."

Adams mentioned that inside days of the live performance he turned extraordinarily sick and delirious. Ultimately, his mom and daughter satisfied him to go to to the emergency division at Piedmont Rockdale Hospital in Conyers.

"I used to be very close to loss of life, shortly after I obtained to the hospital," Adams mentioned. "I had waited too lengthy, however I do not even do not forget that. There may be a few six-week interval of my life, starting on August 8, that I've no reminiscence of in any respect."

Dr. Shimool Rabbani, a doctor on the hospital who handled Adams, mentioned he was one of many sickest COVID-19 sufferers he had seen over the previous two years.

The 56-year-old was in acute respiratory failure and wanted to be positioned on a mechanical ventilator within the ICU.

Adams additionally has two well being points that put him at excessive threat of turning into severely sick from COVID-19. "I used to be 305 kilos and diabetic. And, that did not assist in any respect," he mentioned.

Adams ended up spending 88 days in hospital and needed to be resuscitated on 5 separate events. Throughout his hospital keep, he was on a ventilator for 5 weeks and was additionally in a coma for 5 weeks.

"I got here as close to loss of life as anyone," he mentioned. "There was in all probability a six- to eight-week interval of horrible ache, I imply excruciating ache. I could not get away from bed. I could not stroll. I might barely converse."

Adams is now's now again at residence however he faces a protracted restoration, and nonetheless requires a tracheostomy tube.

"I can stroll a restricted quantity. I can get out and in of my hospital mattress, I've a medical mattress at residence. I am receiving residence healthcare and coming to the hospital as soon as each two weeks to have a surgical procedure wound addressed," he mentioned.

Adams is now urging individuals who haven't been vaccinated to get their photographs.

"Ever since I've regained consciousness and will converse, I've advised everyone I can to go get the vaccine, as a result of it is that vital," he mentioned.

Based on the Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention (CDC), individuals who have recovered from COVID-19 can have some safety from repeat infections. However reinfections can nonetheless happen in these people, and in some circumstances they are often severe. New virus variants may additionally enhance the danger of reinfection.

All COVID-19 vaccines proceed to be extremely efficient in defending in opposition to extreme sickness. As such, the CDC recommends vaccination for all folks aged 5 years or older, together with people who've been contaminated earlier than.

A man in hospital
Inventory picture exhibiting a person in hospital. An unvaccinated Georgia man has mentioned he regrets not getting his COVID-19 photographs after nearly dying because of the illness. iStock