For me, it looks as if at this time's SUVs all look the identical. They're all soccer mom-mobiles and I used to be actually looking for one thing that was a little bit completely different and a little bit cooler than that.

Final 12 months, I took in my 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT for service and began to go searching the showroom. After that, in fact, Hyundai issues began popping up in my Fb information feed.

An advert for the Santa Cruz got here up and I used to be like, "Woah, wait a minute, what's that?"

Hyundai Santa Cruz
After a number of check drives, Karcher signed papers on a 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL with the Exercise Package deal.Krista Karcher

That they had one on the dealership nevertheless it was already promised to another person so I may solely have a look at it. I check drove a Santa Fe however I nonetheless stored fascinated with that Santa Cruz.

I put in my order originally of November. The dealership informed me that they are having a tough time getting them however they'll put feelers out.

To be trustworthy, I am tremendous impatient, so I put the phrase out at different dealerships in North Carolina that I used to be on the lookout for one. In December, one among them referred to as me and informed me that somebody who ordered one in August did not need it anymore.

2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
The 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz encompasses a alternative of two four-cylinder engines making 191 horsepower or 281 horsepower.Hyundai Motor America

I did not assume I needed the Sage Grey paint job, however as quickly as I noticed it in individual I believed it was cool wanting. I drove it and the subsequent factor you realize I am signing papers on a 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL with the Exercise bundle.

I completely find it irresistible. It is a actually comfy experience. It is constructed on the Tucson body so it rides like an SUV. We took it on a visit to Myrtle Seashore, and drove it for 4 hours straight. It was completely comfy the entire means.

It is probably not noisy on the freeway. With the responsive steering, I do not really feel like I am driving a giant truck both - extra like I am driving a smaller automobile.

I do numerous freeway driving as a result of I dwell outdoors of city and that is how I get to work day-after-day. The blind spot warning could be very useful to me. It has lane help too, which takes a little bit little bit of getting used to.

2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
The 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz begins at $25,385, if you'll find them on dealership tons.Hyundai Motor America

The storage within the again is nice for baggage and the tonneau cowl retains the whole lot dry, although it feels a little bit flimsy. I've by no means had one earlier than and critiques stated most of them are constructed that means. I am not all the time positive it is shut all the best way. It simply does not really feel prefer it's a robust piece of fabric.

I do not assume the stereo is nice. Since I am within the radio enterprise I am type of an audiophile. I really need my music to sound full and loud and it appears a little bit skinny to me. It might be boosted.

Possibly Hyundai may put some audio system behind the backseat on the headrests or one thing. That might make the sound within the cabin extra full.

After I had my Elantra, we did not take it many locations as a result of it was a smaller automobile. However now that we've the Santa Cruz, my boyfriend's all the time like, "Let's take your automobile!" So we're driving it much more to completely different locations. It's going to in all probability be the automobile we take for future journeys.

It is getting numerous consideration. Individuals have not seen them earlier than as a result of there are hardly any out on the highway. It is undoubtedly turning heads.

I hold vehicles for a very very long time. My final automobile I had for eight years, so I'll hold the Santa Cruz for at the very least eight to 10.

All views expressed within the article are the writer's personal, as informed to Newsweek's James McCandless.

Have a model new automobile and need to speak about your first month of possession? Attain out at j.mccandless@newsweek.com.