A dimension six girl who lived on soup and salad in a bid to get a "thigh hole" turned her life round to turn into a bodybuilder and now eats 4,000 energy a day.

Anna Thomson, 29, spent years consuming lower than 1,000 energy a day as she tried to take care of her slender body, however now needs to shut the thigh hole. She was fearful of carbs and dodged rice and pasta for 3 years whereas solely permitting herself half a carton of soup for lunch.

At her lowest level, Thomason, from Edinburgh, Scotland, weighed simply 107 kilos and mentioned trying again she thinks she had an consuming dysfunction.

Anna Thomson is a bodybuilder
Anna Thomson, 29, spent years consuming lower than 1,000 energy a day as she tried to take care of her slender body, however now needs to shut the thigh hole.Katielee Arrowsmith/Zenger

5 years in the past she joined the health club and fell in love with weightlifting – and competed in two bodybuilding reveals for the primary time final yr.

Thomson mentioned: "I used to be actually underweight, I used to be consuming lower than 1,000 energy a day and making an attempt to get a thigh hole.

"I believe folks have been so conditioned to need that due to what we noticed within the media, on TV and in movies.

"Once I look again, I do assume I had an consuming dysfunction, at my lowest weight I used to be about 7 stone 9 kilos."

A "stone" is a unit for measuring physique weight equal to 14 kilos.

She mentioned, "My food regimen was so particular - I went years considering I ought to solely be consuming soups or salads for the remainder of my life.

"I'd obsess about meals 30 p.c of the day, which is quite a bit.

"I used to be so terrified to eat any additional energy I'd solely enable myself to have half a bathtub of soup for lunch.

"I went round three years with out consuming rice or pasta, I used to be terrified of carbs.

Anna Thomson is a bodybuilder
Anna Thomson spent years consuming lower than 1,000 energy a day and says she was fearful of carbs and dodged rice and pasta for 3 years whereas solely permitting herself half a carton of soup for lunch.Katielee Arrowsmith/Zenger

"Daily I had no vitality, no stand up and go as a result of I used to be limiting myself a lot and I used to be damaging my physique.

"I was obsessive about gown sizes and scared to get larger than a dimension six."

However Thomson now wears a dimension 10 and mentioned she embraces the very fact she will be able to't match into any of her outdated garments.

She eats as much as seven meals and 4,000 energy a day when she is bulking to placed on muscle – and enjoys carbs, chocolate and meals out to socialize with associates.

Thomson, who can now squat 100 kilograms (220 kilos), turned a certified bodily coach this yr and hopes to encourage different ladies to ditch restrictive diets.

The bikini competitor mentioned she is now making an attempt to shut the thigh hole she at all times longed for in a bid to placed on muscle and get robust within the health club.

She mentioned: "I began the health club 5 years in the past however simply doing cardio and ab exercises.

"I used to be so timid it took me a few yr to construct up the braveness to enter the weights room.

"I had been caught in a vicious cycle, however I began to appreciate I wanted to eat to gas my periods within the health club.

"When I'm bulking now I'm consuming practically 4,000 energy a day.

"Firstly I did not perceive how I could possibly be consuming that many energy however then I began to see the advantages of consuming extra.

"Now I'm consuming between 5 and 7 meals a day that are principally primarily based round protein and are far more different than soup and salad.

"My mindset has completely shifted, I do know meals is just not the enemy anymore, it is gas.

"I can squat 100kg and deadlift 120kg, issues I would not have been in a position to do solely consuming 1,000 energy a day.

"It has been so transformative it is like I'm a distinct individual.

"I'm making an attempt to realize as a lot muscle on my legs as potential and shut the thigh hole.

"I was a dimension six and now I'm a dimension ten – and I adore it.

"I would not have the ability to match into any of my outdated dimension six garments now however I embrace that."

This story was offered to Newsweek by Zenger Information.