Skateboarding mom smashes age, gender stereotypes on TikTok

TORONTO --
At skate parks in Toronto, many of the skaters do not appear to be 47-year-old Oorbee Roy. However by way of TikTok, the mom of two is difficult gender and age stereotypes whereas encouraging extra adults to choose up the game.


Roy had needed to strive skateboarding as a child, however grown-ups would inform her that she was being "an excessive amount of like a boy." As an grownup, she was nervous that she was too outdated to choose up the game.


However 4 years in the past, after watching her youngsters and her husband hit the halfpipes, she let go of her inhibitions and at last picked up a skateboard.


"It wasn't till I noticed my youngsters skateboarding, then I used to be like, 'OK, I will be the mother that sits there watching my entire household have enjoyable?' No manner," she informed CTV's Your Morning on Friday.


"I do not care if I am horrible at it. I am getting on a board and I will go on the market and reside my greatest life."


Final February, Roy began documenting herself studying to skate on TikTok by way of the deal with, @auntyskates. Since then, she's amassed practically 150,000 followers and hundreds of thousands of views on the platform.


"Issues do not come straightforward in life. It's a must to work in direction of them and I need to present that course of," Roy defined. "You are not simply going to get on a skateboard and have the ability to skate. I needed to indicate that that it is taken me a while to get to the purpose the place I'm."


Just lately, Roy additionally began a Fb group to encourage extra adults to offer skateboarding a strive.


"Lots of people simply do not know the right way to step on a board. And I discover a variety of real pleasure from simply serving to individuals," she stated.


"With skateboarding, it is like I discovered the fountain of youth. And I need to share that pleasure with as many individuals as attainable as a result of we as adults neglect to play."

  • Oorbee Roy

    On the age of 43, Toronto mother Oorbee Roy let go of her inhibitions and at last picked up a skateboard after watching her youngsters and her husband hit the halfpipes. (auntyskates/Instagram)

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post